Monday, September 12, 2005

Never leave home without it

Continuing my topic of marketing your book or product, I suppose this goes without saying, but never leave your "baby" and its supplies at home. Even after a year of playing this game, I am still guilty of this. Due to the outrageous and unfounded hikes in gasoline prices, we have started driving my husband's Nissan Sentra more and leaving my minivan parked in the driveway. My minivan has become my rolling office and often holds a table and folding chair for events, a box of books and another of flyers, posters, and whatever necessary memorabilia associated with whatever event is coming up. I am always ready should the need arise to market my book. The Nissan is not equipped for all that hauling. A small cache of books and flyers is about all that will fit, and then, I sometimes forget transfer supplies from the van to the smaller vehicle. Last Sunday at church when I showed up with no books or marketing material, wouldn't you know it...two people approached me to buy books.

Always be prepared for a sale. Always be prepared to run into someone you haven't seen in awhile who will invariably ask you what you've been up to. I've sold books at the dentist, passed out business cards with my tips at restaurants and even in the examining room at my doctor's office. Believe it or not, I am naturally a shy person. Got over that fast enough when my first book was released.

While we don't want to be obnoxious about marketing, nor is this the time to be shy or overly humble. People are fascinated to meet a published author. Many of them share your dream. They will want to hear your story and pick your brain about how you did it. If you're like me, you'll be more than happy to oblige. I'm like that annoying grandparent who is always whipping out pictures of their newest grandchild. You had enough of a burden on your heart to write a book in the first place about your subject. Now get out there and market the thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment