Monday, September 26, 2005

Articles in marketing

Now that you've written a book, you've become an expert at "something". Even if it is how to attract the attention of a publisher, as in my case. Last year when my first book, Streams of Mercy, came out, I tried to find a hook for the book. Something that set it apart from other titles on the shelf. I soon realized though that just getting a book published is a really big deal. Millions of people have tried, and millions more dream about doing it someday.

Congratulations! You've already done it. People will want to hear your story from idea to published novel. They will want to pick your brain. But you can't go to them or expect them all to come to you...nor would you want them to.

What to do? Write articles. Write about the creative process. Write about where you find inspiration. Write about the city where your story takes place or its subject matter. Anything. People will want to read it. Then there's the argument that goes should you submit your writing to non-paying venues.

At this point in my career, the answer for me is yes. For me, payment comes in different forms than just monetary gain, which is great by all means. But my chief concern for this very minute is getting the word out about my books. In each article I write, I will mention a book title. I will tell readers who I am. At the end of the article, readers can find a byline with my name and information, hopefully with a link to my website that they will follow.

How many articles have I written to date? Not enough. That's my project for this week. Find some markets and then write an article they can't live without. I'll let you know at the end of the week how it's going. In the meantime, go write an article about your book and submit it somewhere. What can it hurt?

No comments:

Post a Comment