Thursday, September 20, 2007

Last night I had another author discussion and book signing at the public library in Hillsboro, Ohio. I love doing library events. The staff has usually put a lot of time and effort into making the evening a success before I ever get there. The best thing about doing library events over bookstore signings is that I get to talk. Once I get going, it's hard to shut me up, at least when it comes to writing.

The event last night was well attended by the public as author events go. I shared the spotlight with another Ohio author, Saundra Akers Crum. She was brought up in the area but now lives in Columbus. We both took turns speaking and then fielded questions from the crowd. As the veteran, I went first. I had to remind myself not to hog the time. I've done a lot of these presentations and try to make the evening humorous as well as a learning experience for everyone.

This time I had to keep it short so Saundra could talk about her books. She writes mysteries and suspense by the way so google her name after you finish reading this post. You might find something you like among her works.

Everyone had a great time, except maybe my poor husband who has heard me speak so many times, he can mime the words behind my back. Most attendees were there because they were familiar with either my or Saundra's work so the discussion was lively.

Writing is a lonely business. It's nice to get out and talk to readers who love the books and clamor for more faster than I can write them. I also get lots of feedback about what storylines they love and which ones they must see more of. It makes all the loneliness and frustration worth it.

The next time you read in the paper that an author will appear at your local bookstore or library, go out and support them. Listen to their presentation even if you've never heard of them. If you've read some of their work, all the better. Let them know you're out there and you are reading what they write. These events are never as exciting or well attended as the ones on TV. All writers are starving for feedback and encouragement. At least this one is.

Happy Wednesday.
Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment