Sunday, October 29, 2006

Something Missing


October is almost over and I haven't finished the rewrites for my new book. I had this grand scheme of finishing this book in October, outlining Book 4 of my Jenna's Creek Novel Series in November, and polishing this one and submitting it in December. You know what they say about the best laid plans...

I've just come from church. It's Sunday night and I'm in front of the computer eating a Payday Avalanche and trying to get a head start on Monday's to-do list. One of my to-do's is posting on this blog, which I can't seem to do regularly no matter how good my intentions.

Our pastor preached tonight that we seldom know what God has planned for our lives. We can only see what's directly in front of us. God already knows which one of my books will be my break-out work. He already knows how each book will touch hearts--hearts of people I may never meet this side of glory.

I worry a lot about book promotion. The more I write, the less time I have to promote the books I've already done. The more I promote, the less time I have to focus on the next book. What to do! Promote these books or work on the next one since readers expect books at a pretty fast clip? Are my efforts even necessary? Is anyone out there reading? There are so many excellent books already on the bookstore shelves, do I need to contribute yet another book that will only take readers away from Bible study?

So I worry. I make deadlines and schedule book signings and work on my website. I seldom even ask God which way He wants me to go. There is only so much I can do with my limited talent and twenty-four hours in a day. But God's resources are limitless. Why don't I rely on Him more? With only two more workdays in October in which to get this book finished, I'm going to do what I can to use my time wisely. Even if I don't finish the rewrites like I want, I need to do my best. Limit distractions, keep the TV off, and start each day with prayer. God knows when and how this book needs finished. I'll trust him and stop worrying about what I see with my eyes. He sees the big picture. He's in charge, not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment