Monday, October 10, 2005

Busy Writers

I didn't realize when I made all my grand plans for writing articles and setting up speaking engagements, that this is a one of my busiest times of the years. Besides my writing life, which takes up so much of my time, fall is fast approaching. The changing of the season means the buckeyes and walnuts are falling from the trees faster than I can gather them.

The past two weeks I have been collecting both nuts for holiday projects. Being from Ohio and surrounded by Scarlet and Gray fanatics, buckeyes are popular adornments for keychains, necklaces, earrings, and even Christmas tree ornaments. This year has provided a bumper crop. Between me and the squirrels, we've collected quite a stash I am using to create one of a kind merchandise to sell at craft fairs.

While it takes some searching to find the elusive little brown buckeye among the fallen leaves, all one has to do to find a walnut is walk across one's yard and try to maintain one's balance in a sea of green hulls. Walnuts and acorns are another bumper crop this year. Acorns I leave for the squirrels, but I plan to actually shell the walnuts for my holiday baking needs. I've never fooled with them before, but it seems almost like a sin to leave them laying in the yard while I pay nearly five dollars a pound for the pretty shelled ones in the store.

So I've been too busy outside to keep up with my writing duties, including keeping a regular routine with this blog. Today I plan to do better. I'll write a few articles this week. I will prepare for my appearance at the Portsmouth City library in Portsmouth, Ohio this Thursday. I'll enjoy the chill in the air and lament the Bengals loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars last night in Jacksonville. 23-20. Not a bad showing, but a loss nonetheless.

Did I really expect a perfect season from the Bengals?

No, but 5-0 would have been nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment