Monday, October 17, 2005

New Projects

There's nothing like starting a new project after spending several months writing and rewriting an old one. My two favorite words in the English language are "The End". Those words give me permission to start something new.

Since I'm a book writer, that most often means a new book. Often times I need to write a few articles to promote myself and my website, or I enjoy writing a short story just for a break in the routine, but most often, I think in terms of a new project as being a full length novel.

At the present time, I have about five novel ideas simmering in my head. A few of them have been there for a couple years. I take notes sometimes or daydream, but I try to put the ideas off until I've finished my present work-in-progress. It is often tempting to give in to a new idea and put the current project on the back burner. Bad idea. If I did that every time a new idea came to me, I would never finish the first book.

I wonder if other writers have the same problem. I get asked all the time if I worry about running out of ideas. After finishing my first book, I wondered if I had any other stories inside me. Then about a week later when I found myself immersed in the next story line, I realized it wasn't a problem. The more I write, the faster ideas come for the next book. And the next. Running out of ideas is no longer a concern. Now I just wish I had two or three brains so I could work on several books at a time without giving one more time than the other.

Ah, beginning a new project. The only problem now is choosing which one to run with. I will pray and meditate on it and let the Lord lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment