Thursday, October 04, 2007

October marks my holiday season kick-off for craft fairs and speaking events. I have done this with much success every Fall since my first book, Streams of Mercy was published in 2004. I don’t know why more authors don’t take advantage of this venue. I always set up at craft fairs with my sister who quilts and makes aprons. The first time I did a craft fair, she told a friend of ours she didn’t think I would sell a book. She was afraid I’d have a rotten time. I wasn’t sure myself.

I was busy all day. Most people have never met a published author. Nor have most events hosted one. So my books and I am a novelty. Now I have readers come back year after year to buy the next book. I’ve said it so many times, I’m going to have it put on my headstone. “An autographed book makes a great gift.”


Consider it, dear author. Try a small one-day local event. People will love meeting you. You will get to spend all day talking about your books. And someone may even ask to have their picture taken with you. See pic taken at the Buffalo Trace Balloon Race in Maysville, KY this summer.

Here’s my schedule.
Booksignings and Events:October 8th–Seaman Public Library 6:00 p.m.October 13-14–Lewis Mtn. Herb Fest: Manchester, OH Booksigning 1:00 but I will be there all weekend signing and selling books. This is a wonderful event. Lots of work, but totally worth it. So many readers from all over Ohio and Kentucky.October 15th–Manchester Public Library 6:00 p.m.October 25th–West Union Public Library 6:00 p.m.October 27th–RWA chapter meeting Ashland, KY Boyd Co. libraryOctober 29th–Peebles Public Library 6:00 p.m.November 3rd–Rambler Center Craft Fair and Bazaar, Russellville, OH All DayNovember 10th–Goshen Friends of the Library Annual Craft Fair. Milford, OHNovember 17th–Jingle Bell Craft Fair and Parade. Waverly, OH This was my first show; has always a wonderful event for me. I feel like I know everyone in town. Thanks to the lovely people of Waverly, OHNovember 24th–Amelia High School Athletic Boosters Annual Craft Fair. Amelia, OH Like most of the other craft fairs listed, this is my first year for trying this one. I look forward to it. Can’t wait to meet new readers.December 8th–3rd Annual Maysville Festival of Books and Authors Night

Check with your local Chamber of Commerce and find a craft fair or Bazaar near you. If nothing else, you’ll have the opportunity to meet people who don’t visit their local library or bookstore and may never have heard of you. But believe me, they will be thrilled to learn a “famous” author lives in their midst. Talking to them will be a great boost for you after sitting behind your computer all summer.

Oh, and did I mention the possibility of press coverage?

Step out of your comfort zone and sell some books.

No comments:

Post a Comment