Monday, November 03, 2008

Firestorm of Dragons

Readers, please help me welcome author Karin Fabian to Joy in the Journey. Karin is also the editor of Infinite Space, Infinite God, thought-provoking sci-fi with a Catholic twist.

Welcome Karin. I know you have several interviews over the month of November that cover you and your story and characters, so what can you tell us about Firestorm of Dragons as a book?

I loved this anthology. The level of imagination and the quality of storytelling humbled me. I think I have a lot of talent and a terrific story--and I do!--but compared to some of the others... Wow! I'm in great company, and readers are in for a great ride.

Aside from your own, which story is your favorite?

Dragonscaling! by John Teehan. Seriously tongue-in-cheek parody of extreme sports written as an instructional article for people who want to climb dragons for fun or complicated suicide. Some of his phrases are priceless!

What else do you like about the anthology? Anything you don't like?

I love the breadth of takes on dragon stories. The only thing that bothered me is there is one story that I'm not comfortable with for kids under 16. It's probably not as bad as some YA stuff out there, but it prevents me from recommending it to a lot of kids who might otherwise be able to enjoy the book.


What drew you to write for a dragon anthology?

It was something I hadn't done before. I've written about psychics, barbarian swordswomen and, in the sci-fi realm, artificial intelligence and colonizing the solar system. Plus, the guidelines specifically said they wanted something unique. That challenged me.

Now, I'm overjoyed, because it's given me my favorite universe to play in--the Faerie/Mundane worlds of DragonEye, PI.

What's next for you?

In sci-fi, I have a new anthology out, Leaps of Faith, which is Christian SF. I'm working on a Rescue Sisters novel, Discovery, with three nuns who do search and rescue operations in space. They are also favorite characters of mine.

In fantasy, I have two DragonEye, PI books coming out in 2009: Magic, Mensa and Mayhem and Live and Let Fly. These are much funnier than "Dragon Eye, PI" and have a great cast of mythological characters and clichés turned on their heads--because DragonEye is nothing without clichés.

You have a special offer for readers?

Yes! If you register on the DragonEye, PI, website this month, I'll give you a free story, "Amateurs: From the Case Files of DragonEye, PI," plus a special on the DragonEye holiday story, "Christmas Spirits." It also signs you up for the every-other-month newsletter, A Dragon's Eye View, with notes from Vern, fun Faerie facts, and news on future stories and books.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this!

    If folks like dragons, mystery and satire, I hope they'll check out www.dragoneyepi.net. This month, I'm offering a free story to anyone who signs up on the site.

    Blessings,
    Karina Fabian
    www.fabianspace.com

    ReplyDelete