Sunday, July 22, 2007

Taglines & other marketing stuff

I read an article the other day that said a small business, of which writing is one, should complete 3-5 tasks a day to bring visibility to the business. Some of the tasks could be big things like writing a newsletter that would take a whole day. Other tasks could be small, like updating an address book, making it possible to complete more than the suggested five tasks a day.

One of the tasks suggested was something I've been considering for a while now. A business needs a simple tagline to identify the product the business sells. Several years ago Karen Kingsbury trademarked her tagline of LIFE CHANGING FICTION. Simple yet brilliant. That got me thinking.

Before creating a tagline, I need to decide what I write. Karen writes fiction that has the power to change lives. Okay, what does my writing do that sets it apart from every other writer who claims to do the same?

If I were a butterfly perched on a shopper's shoulder when she entered a bookstore and that shopper picked up one of my books, what would I whisper in said shopper's ear? "Buy this book. It's awesome," sounds a little too obvious. Not to mention pushy and vague. I should give it a little more thought.

What do I want a reader to know about me????????? Not just about the book; she can read the back to find that out. What do I want her, or him, to know about me?

First off, dear reader, I'm not Karen Kingsbury. You might not have even heard of me. But if you'll only take the chance on the book in your hands, it's my belief and earnest hope, you'll come back for more.

You're right, you're right. Not a very catchy tagline. Let's try again.

What I really want you to know is that I strive to incorporate a little mystery, a little romance, and a little humor into each of my books. My desire is to touch your heart through fiction by putting you into a situation you can relate to.

There. That's better. Now you know a little more about the books Teresa Slack writes. But still not catchy as taglines go. Certainly not simple or easy to remember.

I have a few ideas. I've been jotting notes and studying other writers' taglines all weekend. I have a pretty good one in mind that I'll run past my publisher before the grand unveiling. It isn't as short as Ms. Kingsbury, but it says who I am. That's the whole point, isn't it? I can't sit on the shoulders of every shopper who enters every bookstore or library in the country. But I can try to let those shoppers know ahead of time who I am and what I believe my mission is for writing what I write.

Happy reading. Oh, and if you happen to find yourself in a bookstore or library in the near future and you pick up one of my books...Oh that's right, you already know what I'm going to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment