Friday, December 18, 2009

Jesus in the Christmas Cookies

Since adopting a healthier lifestyle in 2008 and losing almost 20 pounds I never want to see again, I don’t bake nearly as often as I once did. Nor do I bake in such large quantities.

You may think that just because I don’t want to gain over the holidays, I shouldn’t punish my whole family. To that I say if it’s in the house I’m going to eat it. My only hope of not gaining the usual 5 pounds from Thanksgiving to New Year’s Day is to limit the presence of temptation in the house.

But I love splurging as much as the next gal. Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without star shaped cookies and homemade fudge. Not to mention the men who work the nightshift at my husband’s job have come to expect a huge platter of cookies from me.

Yesterday my four-year-old grandson arrived just as my kitchen counter had become a landmine of cookie preparations. My prayers are with you if you’ve ever had to bake a large quantity of food around a four-year-old.

But it offered a chance to impress upon him the true meaning of the season. When I told him the cookies were for Papaw’s work party in honor of Jesus’ birthday, he asked; “Is Jesus going to be there?”

What a good question. Is Jesus going to be there? Will he be here for any of our Christmas rituals? Whether baking and obsessing over maintaining a goal weight, sending cards, hanging lights, singing carols, or attending parties, is Jesus there?

I am thankful for the opportunity to share my faith with my grandson. And I’m thankful for that nugget of wisdom out of his mouth. When we wear our “Jesus is the reason for the season” pin, may we truly embrace the sentiment. As our special guest at our Christmas rituals, let us feel His presence and honor Him in everything we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment