Thursday, December 11, 2008

Motivation for the task ahead.

I managed to lose ten percent of my body weight in 2008 using nothing more then sheer determination and self discipline. Now if I could only apply that to my writing.

Seems my motivation to finish a project is always lagging this time of year. There is so much else that needs done, I can’t find the inspiration to spend any time writing. Shame on me. I have so much to do and need to get cracking.

“People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing—that’s why we recommend it daily.” Zig Ziglar; motivational speaker

Makes sense doesn't it? The secret to staying consistent with your goals, whatever they are, is to stay motivated. That means finding ways to fire yourself up on a daily basis. Being inspired at a seminar, by reading a book, or while talking to a dynamic speaker is easy. But what happens when you're on your own?

To follow through on that burst of motivation and reach the finish line, you need regular booster shots. Give yourself those little positive reminders that you have an important job to do and a good reason for doing it. What's pushing you? Surround yourself with visual, verbal, and physical "pep talks" that trigger that motive. It doesn't take long for dust to gather on your momentum, making your goals turn stale. A daily dose of motivation kicks off the dust before it can settle and gives you a fresh, clean start.

Just because you have a houseful of company coming and cookies to bake for a classroom party tomorrow morning or gifts to wrap and cards to send, doesn't mean you should set your goals aside. Whatever you see yourself doing in 2009 or 2020, get to work now.

Billy Blanks, my Taebo guru, always says; "Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me."

My mind wants to put me on a bestseller list in 2009. What about you? Where do you want to be tomorrow?

Happy writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment